Friday, May 19, 2006

the emancipation of stevie (okay, not really)

I thought about not writing today. I’m such a ball of nervous energy right now, I’m afraid I won’t make sense.

So far, I’m three-for-three on the interviews. Nobody’s offered anything yet, but I get the feeling they went well. Of course, I’m always second-guessing myself, so I went out to Tanglewood Mall and put in a few more applications. You can never be too sure if anything will come through. I have been in situations like this and bet on being hired, only to end up disappointed later.

One phrase that always kills me is “We’re going to talk to two or three other people…” I’ve found that that is the kiss of death at an interview. It usually means “You’re not what we want, and we’re going to spend the next several days proving it.” I haven’t heard that so far.

Tomorrow, I’m going to put in a few more. I’m usually off Fridays so it works out pretty well.

My friend Muddy helped me put some things in perspective. I won’t tell you what she said, but she’s really smart and I took some of her advice already. I feel a little better for it.

One thing about this short period of self-absorption is that I haven’t been paying attention to folks like I usually do, and it sounds like my friend Heather is a little down in my absence. Heather, if you read this, I’m sorry I haven’t been paying attention, and I hope that you are feeling a little better.

Another thing I’ve noticed is that if you watch enough episodes of The Jeffersons and Good Times, you’ll find out that any everyday problem can be solved with the right approach.

Let’s see what else is on my mind….well, for one thing, I’m losing my enthusiasm for fast food. Kevin and I went to Long John Silvers while we were out, and I could barely eat it. The fish was okay, but everything else sucked. They did not do well, so I didn’t ring the bell. (If you’ve ever been to LJS, you’ll get what I’m saying)

The minor renovations at Tanglewood are progressing. JCPenney’s started renovating finally and I finally got into the new T.J. Maxx, which doesn’t have mall access like before. I get the feeling that end of the mall is about to change a lot. I think they’re going to get rid of the corridor in the old Woolco and add another big box store.

Allen’s still not here yet (which is a good thing) but he’ll probably still show up. It feels like waiting on a hurricane. He’ll probably show up in the middle of the night, but he won’t have any of my fancy toiletries to freshen up with. I put them all in my room.

I figure I bought them and he’s made a hell of a lot more money than I have. He can fend for himself. I did leave some cheaper stuff, Axe body wash, soap, toothpaste and all, but I definitely took up whatever I can’t afford to replace. It’s more than fair. Actually, it eliminates a lot of the bathroom clutter he was complaining about.

But you know what? Fuck him! I may not be where I want to be yet, but I can’t let his presence affect me as much. It’s letting the devil win, and I sure as hell don’t need that to happen. I’ll never be able to pick myself up if I fall for something that stupid.

You know what? That last part was actually pretty fun to type! Maybe all the prayers y’all are sending up are helping.

Anyway, I need to close. I feel a little better now, so maybe I’ll be able to sleep.

12 comments:

  1. interviews are such a waste of timeFriday, May 19, 2006 3:14:00 AM

    ohhhh my gaish!...please don't take personal responsibility for my misfortunes.

    I do miss you, however. the frequency of our communications has abated, and I wonder if that has affected my general outlook.

    or, if everything that life has handed me lately might have... i'm thinking that your stuff is pretty paramount right now, and my shizznat remains ever unchanged.

    whoop, whoop, whoop! I'm still fired up about your prospective employment with roanoke, because I am going to buy property there and I need and inside guy............

    ReplyDelete
  2. As long as you're okay I won't worry, but I always get a little concerned when I don't hear from you. it's justmy way. I have to worry about something or someone. Mom says I have a strong Mother Hen type instict.

    I don't want to tempt fate, but I think you know which one of the three I'm favoring...but I rarely get what I want. I do, however, usually get what I need. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't let the "we have other candidates to review" thing freak you out.

    Back when I worked at AT&T, we told that to EVERYBODY, even if we knew we were going to hire them.

    Good luck, dude.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Chris. I know somewhere along the line, things will work out, but the waiting is the hardest part.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you've had a pretty interesting week. I don't know much about having a career, but I do know it can be pretty big. Good luck with all of that! :)

    I had a busy day yesterday. I had a physical at the doctor's office. I escaped a blood test, but I had to have my 10 year tetnus shot. Win lose situation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry about the shot, billy. Goes to show you life will needle you one way or the other ;-)

    Thanks for the encoragement. You'll be job hunting soon enough and you'll see how much of a pain in the arse it is, much like that shot. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. HOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS??

    YOU GOT SOME PSYCHIC, NOW??

    so, does she work for target or a 'vendor?'

    stupid Sunday tease...back in my day, nothing was open on a Sunday. but that's because you had these things called 'values,' something these kids nowadays with their ipods and their britney spears halter tops -- why if'n my pappy caught me messin' round with one of them harlots 'cross the river with their daisy dukes, he woulda tanned my hide. and then? when he wuz done he woulda' set across the river fixin' to tan her hide too, but firs' he woulda gone drunk a fifth 'a wild turkey an' gone over an' impregnated her hisself...... 'cause once upon a time they had these things called 'values' ........

    whoa. ruffies. where am I??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Luck with the Interviews. Today wasn't a good day for me. Maybe it'll turn around.
    -weill-

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heather: She emailed me with a picture. That's how I know. Nothing psychic here but a Dionne Warwick CD, and that's questionable.

    Weill: Hope you were able to bounce back from your your bad day. Mine was pretty good, and I got some other (non-career) news that could potentially make it a little better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heather, I couldn't find your e-mail address, or I'd have forwarded the pic to you too!!!

    Hey Steven...forward Heather that e-mail for me, would ya? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chris needs it, too...can you forward it to Chris as well??

    If I wasn't so damn lazy, I'd actually make an address book so I didn't lose people's e-mail addresses. But that would require time and energy, and I'm too busy cranking away as a cog in a corporate machine!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Done and done. Outlook saves my email addresses, so it's very easy to create contact lists.

    ReplyDelete