Monday, May 22, 2006

the old gray mule, he ain’t what he used to be

My night just got a little better.

I’ve been so worn out from my weekend of travel that I didn’t get to check out the Sunday classifieds until a few minutes ago. I found something good: a firm in Roanoke is actually hiring architectural interns! I couldn’t be happier. This doesn’t mean I’ll get it of course, because the job market is tight for anything in architecture, but I at least have an option for something I went to school for and that is a good thing.

I also got another call for interview today, this time from a modular-home manufacturer in Rocky Mount. I go there later today and I hope they are impressed by what they see.

Still nothing back from the three interviews last week. I’m trying not to worry, but I can’t help but wonder what’s going on. I think I’m in a Catch 22 situation: most stuff I’m qualified for, employers can’t see me doing, and yet I’m overqualified for everything else. It’s frustrating, and the bills go on, which doesn’t help things much.

One thing I did find out is that Allen appears to be on his way to Texas instead of here for at least the short term. As you might imagine, this is a relief to me, though he still may show up here sometime this week in the moving process.

I think I’m grating on Kevin’s nerves. He has this way of asking superfluous questions and it gets on my nerves, so I tell him about it. Why should it only be me who’s upset, I figure?

I’m trying to be nicer about it, but he’s still pulling back some because when I do complain, I’m pretty direct about it. The thing is though, as much as I get frustrated with him, he is a good friend and a lot of help to me, though I feel drained around him often times. I guess I need to learn to bite my tongue more on this and try to understand his point of view.

You know, my dad and his side of the family do the same thing to me as Kevin: ask a lot of obvious questions and then expect me to answer them with a smile. Why I do not know. When people do that, I feel like I’m being used, like people are mining me for more than what they need just because they can. Maybe I’m too nice, or too helpful, or maybe it’s nothing and I’m just delusional. I just don’t know.

Anyway, this is just more of me rambling, so I’ll stop, but if anybody has any insights, feel free to tell me.

4 comments:

  1. people suck except us twoTuesday, May 23, 2006 1:03:00 AM

    Well, the 21st century has determined unequivocally and without a doubt that, unwittingly or otherwise, we seek out relationships that perpetuate our childhoods', whether that implies that kevin is looking to you to fill some power void or the obverse......

    i am uncomfortable with these 'information pimps' that you describe. how deep are they digging? does their visage sport a snarky look whilst inquiring? i don't like these questions, i don't like thine aspect, i don't like thee, sam i am..........

    ReplyDelete
  2. They dig depp, but it's usally one sided. If I have questions, they do their best to not answer them. I'm "meddling" if I ask much of anything....and so it goes.

    I value my privacy, so I'm not particurally demanding about things unless I'm prepared for the answer. If I could only get that back in return, it would be a wondferful world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've faced such questions. One day, when you are married with kids, the same folks will try the divide and conquer method. They figure if they can just get your kids alone, your spouse alone...who are nieve to their ploy, then someone will crack. My thought on it all is that if someone is so interested in me, in my family, in my life...why arent they here investing in it in some way besides all the questioning?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never thought about it like that, Muddy. It makes a lot of sense.

    I have no idea why these people are so inquisitve, but next time that someone asks me a whole bunch of stuff without provocation, I'm going to ask them straight up what do they stand to gain from asking all these questions.

    ReplyDelete