Thursday, October 12, 2006

drowsy stupor with a mild rant

OK, I'm still here.

Sincere apologies to all of you in Steveland that have been waiting for something substantive from here for an extended period of time. I could get all Mariah Carey on you guys and claim I'm suffering from "fatigue," but it's nothing close to that serious. I've just been really, really busy away from the house, and really, really sleepy at the house. My inbox is a mess right now, and if I haven't responded to email or blog posts, then it's because I simply haven't had any time.

So what have I been doing? Well, me being a shy, irritable person trying to do customer service work for mostly well-meaning but chronically thankless customers takes a toll. I love my customers, but trying to hold your head up and be nice and helpful constantly with ever-escalating job responsibilities is not my idea of a great day at work. In a lot of ways, it's getting easier, because I no longer have to look up everything, but the challenges grow to compensate. It's the typical Gen X-Y rant: I'm seriously underappreciated and shit like that.

I get off better than Andrea Sachs, the heroine in The Devil Wears Prada, though. Against my better judgment, I decided to read the book, after loving the movie. It was cheap at Target, where I checked out the latest stationery creations from Carrie and company. (I love the Kermit luggage tag!)

Back to the book. It's entertaining, to be sure, but not exceptionally well-written (keeping in mind that I probably wouldn't do much better). My critique of this book generally falls along the lines of the typical reviewer: shallow, factually muddy, and soap-opera-like. Still, it makes for an easy read during lunchtime at work. I used to read the paper, but the lady (remember L?) who used to bring me the paper now works a different lunch shift (yes, shift; it's a long and frustrating story) so I don't get to see it 'til I get home.

You wanna talk about frustrating? If frustrating had a representative situation attached, it would have to be Saturday afternoon at Sam's Club. I amplified my annoyance by deciding to go after seven hours of tax school, but it's still as frustrating as its corporate parent Wal-Mart with the added annoyance of pallet carts that are nearly impossible to move when full, piloted by people who don't know how to operate them. If they didn't have such a great price on yogurt, it wouldn't be worth it.

I don't want to make it seem like everything sucks, because it doesn't. I have my health and overall, everyone is well. Hell, I'm even getting along with Dad better these days. No explanation for that at all.In any event, I'm going to close this particular chapter of the cyber-diary and let you guys talk. Holler at your boy!

3 comments:

  1. I know how you feel Steve. I don't know if you read it yet at Road City, but I missed my second trip to the Dixie Classic Fair due to rain and my acid reflux acting up. Gives me extreme nausea. I have two days off school starting tomorrow, so that's good. Amazing how one week could be extremely awesome, and then suddenly turn into a nightmare the next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear you have a good outlook besides being busy. Sounds familiar... :) Hang in there.

    ~Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Billy: That sucks. Well, the good thing is that the fair will still be there next year :-)

    Great to hear from you despite your ills though. :-)

    Kris: Looks like you've been busy as well. Why do we put ourselves through all this stuff? :-)

    ReplyDelete