Recent polls confirm the common assumption that Northern Virginians tend to be much more liberal than those in the rest of the state. In fact, NoVa seems to be a world apart from RoVa (the rest of Virginia). In NoVa, for example, when people speak of a "trailer," they mean a movie ad, and in RoVa "sprawl" is what you do on the couch after Sunday dinner.
Herewith, a few more ways NoVa differs from RoVa:
- In RoVa, they hope the South will rise again. In NoVa, they hope the souffle will.
- In NoVa, a lab is the family dog. In RoVa, a lab is the family meth business.
- In NoVa, people spend their dough at Starbucks, shooting the breeze. In RoVa, people spend time in the breeze, shooting does and bucks.
- In NoVa, a "fur piece" is something a woman wears on a special occasion. In RoVa, a "fur piece" is unit of distance.
- In RoVa, people pick blackberries. In NoVa, people click BlackBerrys.
- In NoVa, they listen to NPR. In RoVa, they listen to the NRA.
- NoVa has Crate & Barrel. RoVa has Cracker Barrel.
- NoVa: Chain Bridge. RoVa: Chain saw.
- In RoVa, they like freshly killed venison. In NoVa, they like Alfred, Lord Tennyson.