Sunday, August 15, 2004

mr. swain goes to town

a first-hand observation or two on my day in the city (August 14, 2004)

I almost missed my trip to New York this weekend. I guess some of you are wondering “He went to New York? I didn’t know that.” Well it’s hard to keep everybody informed about things these days. All of you (even the ones I don't know) are great friends of mine and I’m a man of few words (really), plus it doesn’t seem like I had the free time I once did. Or I’m getting old. Either way, I’m telling you now. How’s that. I thought so.

The first road block was my dad coming to get me from work. He got there about 6 (I get off at 5, but he refuses to remember), and then when we went home I had to help my mom with some heavy lifting and rearranging (at the country club) that always seems to pop up when I need to get out and have some fun. I was scared that I was going to be late, but we worked it out…barely. You know my life. Pretty typical.

I rode all night on the bus from Roanoke to the city. And I saw where the new Cabela’s in Hamburg, Pennsylvania is located. If you’re on I-78 between Harrisburg and Allentown, you can’t miss it. Didn’t get to go, but I want to go up there real soon.

I was on a shopping trip run by a bus tour company (Abbott Trailways). We spent 8 hours in Manhattan Saturday site-seeing and shopping (mostly shopping) and spent the night in Secaucus (AmeriSuites, Harmon Meadow) before coming back Sunday afternoon. We ate at Pizzeria Uno in New Jersey (Doug L. and Todd R. are salivating reading this I’m sure) and I got to try the All-American Dessert that Todd R. raves about. BTW, it’s good Todd. Real good. I liked the whole thing, from the vanilla ice cream to the hot apples and cinnamon. Excellent.

Where’d I shop at: Macy’s (of course), H&M, The NBA Store, Lord & Taylor, Bloomingdales, Bergdorf Goodman, Saks Fifth Avenue, Barneys, Salvatore Ferragamo, Louis Vuitton, Burberry, Niketown, Rochester Big & Tall and your standard assortment of mall-type stores in their most decked out versions. You’d likely say I was lying if I told you Old Navy is actually better in the city than in the suburbs, but I shit you not. It is. It has a lot of the same stuff they have at the ones around here, but they have a lot of exclusive product too.

I almost ate at The Plaza hotel, but Kevin balked at the price. Of course at NikeTown he paid over $140.00 for a pair of Muppet-green Air Force Ones and a matching T-shirt he’ll likely never wear (but I’m the one that’s being excessive.). We ended up eating at the 59th and Lex restaurant in Bloomingdales, which I can recommend.

Okay, it’s time to disappoint everyone: I didn’t get any souvenirs for you guys; I missed the subway, Grand Central, the Statue of Liberty, Tiffany’s, many of the ethnic neighborhoods (not enough time), the strip club (sorry Rich) and countless other things. But I’m going back. And I’ll miss them again (ha ha). Just kidding.

Yep, the trip was killer, y’all. All of you who haven’t been need to go. Without question. Kevin and I covered a good portion of the city from 34th to 59th on foot. It was a haul, but I saw so much. Bought a couple of things, but didn’t overdo it. Got a few pictures that came out good with the disposable camera.

I’m a little sore leg-wise from the walking, but I got some generic Ben-Gay type stuff from Wal-Mart when I got back.

I was off work on Monday. Sorry I missed Judy’s birthday of course, but glad to be off. I went to get the mail and I saw a little too much yard clutter. I have looked at the excess crap that was in the yard at home and at the club long enough and had to do something about it. So I cleaned the yard in both places. Sometimes I impress myself I try hard enough: for example, I moved a thirty foot tall tree, piece by piece today. It was exhausting, and I’m not done in the least, but in both places it looks a little more like people care about their surroundings. My dad got embarrassed that I cleaned up that he started mowing. That in itself was great, if nothing else.

No comments:

Post a Comment