Thursday, September 09, 2004

it's a custom job

My new friend Tim was having trouble getting in touch with me via email, (Hotmail sucks, BTW) so he posted a couple of comments on previous posts about customizing Nike Air Force One's. It' something I've always thought about since I read Bobitto Garcia's book, Where'd You Get Those, but not something that I've actively persued.

If I had my druthers, I would customize the AF1’s in the white-white colorway. I think it would break up the monochromatic sameness of it. Not that I don’t dig white on white (it’s a classic), but it seems like customizing something like that could be done in a way that was fun and cool. And the all-whites are like an artist's canvas waiting for paint. Especially when you see all those wild colors in the stores and magazines. When I was in NY and DC recently, I saw any number of special AF1 and Dunk models. I don’t know where to start, though.

If I ever get the itch to try customizing, I would try it (at first) on a less expensive shoe than the AF1s. My knowledge of many things retail leads has me noticing that Dillard’s carries the white-on-white lo-top Dunks in their stores for a little less than the AF1’s (about $65.00, or less on clearance). That could be a place to start. It’s less paint and a cheaper shoe, but still cool.

Ah, but motivating myself to start...

1 comment:

  1. "Where'd You Get Those" is classic. I also highly recommend "Sole Provider." Although it's primarily about the evolution of Nike Basketball shoes, the illustrations and commentary are awesome.

    ReplyDelete