Monday, September 27, 2004

what's hot for fall 1979, er, 2004

Tonight I was looking at AskMen.com's fall fashion forecast. Surprise, surprise, vintage-styled clothing is still king. I'm not opposed to vintage, really. I mean, how many '90s style "fashion basics" can the world take? Plus, oversized clothes had become very stale and ugly before they went out of style. When 14 year old boys were wearing t-shirts and jeans that looked like a mini-dress over kulaks, things were definately over.

But the bad part about this Carter administration vintage-revival period is that everything is two sizes smaller than it used to be, instead of true to size. That really hurts big-boned, broad shouldered guys like myself who can barely fit into XXL styles at Saks and Neiman's sportswear departments and especially at Abercrombie & Fitch, that is, assuming XXL even exists in certain clothing styles. Keep in mind that I've been the same size for years and in the styles of the late '90s, I was barely an XL. And I'm not even close to being fat, either. I'm tall and v-shaped, almost model-like if you don't count the face and feet :)

Small-boned, narrow-shouldered people can buy clothes anywhere they want to and can size down if they need to. I need all the room I can get, but I still want to look like I'm wearing something other than a tent. I have a closet full of fashionable clothes, and I've adapted to the new styles some, but still, something's gotta give.

Maybe that's why I buy so many shoes. There is only so much shrinking a designer can do to shoes before someone starts complaining. Witness the endless deluge of wide shoes coming onto the market. Doesn't help me because I'm a narrow, but I digress.

Listen up, fashion world! If you want my money, it's gotta fit!!!

Now, for this fall's fashion trends....

argyle sweater (V-neck, crewneck and even a sweater vest)
funky button-down shirt: stripes, checks, houndstooth, etc.
tweed (herringbone, twill or checks), velour or corduroy blazer
vintage-looking jeans
patterned tie (paisley, herringbone, twill, or checks)
gray flannel suit
layering: don't limit yourself to one pattern or color
colors: brown, blue (from light blue to indigo), orange, purple (mauve and plum), yellow, green, gray, and red


I hope you found that as helpful as I found it catharthic

No comments:

Post a Comment