Thursday, September 30, 2004

talk about retro: senators baseball returning to dc

It seems like everything old in Washington, DC is new again. Far freakier than Marion Barry’s likely return to city government and Georgetown’s sudden retail resemblance to downtown Manhattan is the return of the Washington Senators.

For those unfamiliar with baseball, Washington had a team called the Senators from 1921 to 1960, and then from 1961 to 1971. In both cases the Senators moved due to low ticket sales in DC and better opportunities elsewhere, creating what are now the Minnesota Twins and the Texas Rangers. Today’s announcement means that the financially struggling Montréal Expos will leave Quebec for a new stadium in the southeast section of Washington along the Anacostia River, with a brief stop in historic RFK Stadium as the new venue is being built.
As I am still new to baseball, this gives me a little joy because I finally have a National League team to root for to go along with my American League Baltimore Orioles. They’re so close geographically; there is a possibility of a “Beltway Series” if both of them make it to the World Series. Plus the Senators are an important part of Major League Baseball, much as the Cleveland Browns are for the NFL. I’m getting my Senators hat as soon as I can, and looking forward to the games when they start next year

No comments:

Post a Comment