Monday, April 25, 2005

at long last...something from me

I’m going a little long today to make up for the fact that I’ve been absent. I’ve been so busy that I haven’t felt like writing much. Between going out of town, yard work, writing and recovering from those things, I’ve been up against it and tired. I’m glad you understand and truly appreciate your patience.

Last Tuesday, I was getting the articles for my news column straight. The paper said I could be in at least twice a month, and I’ve been trying to find stuff to put in. So far I’ve got one that I submitted about a computerized running shoe (the Adidas 1) that will run this week and I’m working on another about a plus-sized women’s store (Torrid) that will run in three weeks. Greensboro is the closest Torrid location, so when I went to the Alex Bugnon concert, I did a little research an hour or two before.

Speaking of the concert, I had a wonderful time. Alex didn’t actually make it to the stage until 9:30 (concert started at 8) but the opening acts were decent. One of the acts had a killer guitar player from Panama that played with all kinds of major acts. He played with the slightest bit of distortion and the greatest bit of originality, even playing with his teeth at one point.

Alex Bugnon is my favorite jazz keyboardist and he fronted a four-piece ensemble that included Victor Bailey on bass. That guy can tear up a bass, my friend. The set was better than I expected, but also shorter. He only played six or seven songs, but there was a lot of improvisation and the songs all took on several new dimensions.

The Orioles game was great, too. They beat the Yankees 8-4 and it was the third O’s win in the three game series. I couldn’t see the action as well as I hoped, but there was a one-man peanut gallery three rows back that filled everyone in within earshot about what was happening. At the end, everyone was chanting “Sweep” and “Crank the bus!”

Saturday, I was in Richmond with some of my old college friends. One of the guys I hadn’t seen since graduation and another one I hadn’t seen in 2½ years. We went out to the Short Pump Town Center and had dinner and some drinks. A good time was definitely had by all.

Anyway, that’s what’s up

No comments:

Post a Comment