Friday, April 29, 2005

Nikes for $2.99


This is at least the best shopping story of the week.

I was in Roanoke last night with Kevin and decided to go to the new Nike Air Bound was my favorite pair of shoes during senior year of high school. It was hard to find when I got it back then (Champs Sports, Piedmont Mall, Danville, for anyone keeping records). I wore them until they literally fell apart. The shoe was popular enough to be retroed a couple of years ago, but I ignored it because some of the retro's details were different than the ones I knew and loved.

Anyway, these shoes have been long gone from stores, so when I found a pair in pristine condition, save for a missing box on the shelves of Ross, I was flabbergasted. They weren't my original black nubuck, but in white leather with black and red trim, they weren't bad at all. That wasn't the best part though. The shoes had been marked down to, believe it or not, $2.99! The few pairs that remain of the retro are selling for $115.00 at pickyourshoes.com. That amounts to a 97.4% discount off the current market price!

As in every fish story, there's a catch that made the shoes, dare I say it, not mine. They were too small. They were 12s and I wear a 13. I remember that from back in the day as well. That was the first shoe I ever bought in a size 13.

There is a happy ending to this tale, however. Though the shoes were too small for me, they were a slightly loose fit for Kevin, who proudly marched up to the counter and handed the cashier four singles for the deal of the week, if not the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment