Monday, November 01, 2004

the gospel according to mavis

I've known of the supreme talent of Mavis Staples since I was a toddler. When Allen and I were little, my mom's sewing room was in our bedroom. We had a old JCPenney tabletop hi-fi that mom would play records on into the night.

As we were all nightowls, we would stay up with Mom as she sewed into the night. We would play in our cribs. One of the gospel albums Mom would play had a Staple Singers song, "I Had A Dream." Allen and I would sing the background while Mom sang lead. That was the first song I ever learned to sing. Ever since then, I've been in love with that song and admired Mavis Staples, who sang lead on that song along with her father, Roebuck "Pops" Staples.

"Have a Little Faith" is the title of Mavis Staples' new album and it's inspirational. Read about it and her life, thus far, including a special connection to Bob Dylan at The Gospel According to Mavis.

No comments:

Post a Comment