Friday, October 22, 2004

it came from the 1971 sears catalog

This was the crown jewel of my recent wanderings on Google. I was looking for information on Sears and was reading some earnings reports when I stumbled upon a bit of nostalgia.

It's been a long time since I laughed so hard at a single website, in this case, the site It Came From The 1971 Sears Catalog. As the title describes, these are actual scans of a Sears catalog from 1971, which are funny in themselves, but the author of the website, Linda Causey, decided to add in her own witty commentary which seals the deal. Laugh out loud funny, to be sure.

I missed out on some of the things here because I was born in the mid-'70s, but a lot of the stuff pictured looked eerily familiar. We had a 1976 Sears catalog that was a lot like this when I was younger, too. Those of you who actually were alive during the early 70’s will wonder how you ever survived this fashion nightmare.

As one reviewer said, "There's nothing quite like cranking up the Wayback machine every now and then — for the sake of nostalgia. Maybe too, to better understand why as a society we stopped doing certain things."

No comments:

Post a Comment