Saturday, October 02, 2004

score!

Sometimes things just seem to work out.

If you’ve read this blog much, you know I’ve been looking for a low top pair of white-on-white Nike Air Force 1 basketball shoes for a little while now. I actually wanted two pairs: one to floss and one to customize. But that’s another story.

They were seemingly everywhere for a while after they were released, including Dick’s Sporting Goods in Greensboro (which I mentioned on a previous post as one of my luckiest spots for kicks). But after I convinced myself to buy a pair, they seemed to disappear from stores all at once.

I found out from the salesperson at Dick’s that the reason that some Nike shoes seem to disappear is that Nike tightly controls the distribution, producing a limited amount of product, and reigning in the unsold pairs after a certain amount of time to keep the remainders from being deeply discounted. It’s a strategy that a lot of vendors use, but this was the first I’ve heard of Nike doing it.

Sneakerheads: I know you hear me. When you see some kicks that you want that are hot, don’t screw around. STRIKE WHILE THE IRON IS HOT!!!

Nike has already pulled the immensely popular shoes from many stores, but they still are available if you look real hard and you’ve got good luck. Like I did. I got the last pair of size 13 white-on-white AF1 lows in Greensboro, not to mention the last pair Dick’s had, period! I couldn’t be prouder.

I’m ending my search for the second pair for now. The Dunk lows are more widely available and they have more layered surfaces to color once I convince myself to customize a pair.

If you’re out there looking for the same thing I was, then here’s a couple of places you can check that I think may have them. I linked the mall websites, where applicable, so you can find the phone numbers for the stores.

Champs Sports: Four Seasons Town Centre, Greensboro, NC had white-on-white AF1 lows on display, but sizes are limited. Crabtree Valley Mall, Raleigh, NC had a few pairs of lows and highs as of last Monday, but that could have changed.

Dick’s Sporting Goods: Greensboro, NC still has highs, but the lows are gone. Select Dick’s stores may carry AF1s , but call your local store for availability.

Finish Line: Valley View Mall, Roanoke, VA had highs on display, but sizes are limited.
Other than that, there’s always the internet…

1 comment: