Tuesday, October 19, 2004

show me the bunny...on DVD

Warren: I don't want to sing this song with Dottie! I don't want to sing this song with Blah! I want to sing it all by myself! Me, me, me, me, ME!

Gil: Warren, that's not the message we're trying to convey with the Sharing Song.


How could a show like "Greg the Bunny" not suceed? And on Fox, of all places? Admittedly, it's a hard concept to swallow: a behind-the-scenes look at a fractured children's show where the puppets are living breathing organisms. But inconcievable concepts aside, this show was awesome. Despite hints of greatness, the show was never a ratings hit and lasted less than one season in 2002.

On the show, Greg (voiced by Dan Milano) is the best friend and roommate of TV production assistant Jimmy Bender (Seth Green), whose dad Gil (Eugene Levy) is the executive producer of "SweetKnuckle Junction." The kids' show is in crisis as its lead rabbitt puppet drops dead on the set during a taping, just as Greg is visiting Jimmy. Greg is hired on the spot, and hilarity ensues as he tries to assimilate with the other puppets and humans on the show.

There are overtones of racial pride (Greg joins a "puppish" movement after he's labeled a sell-out), Sesame Street (Count Blah [voiced by Drew Massey], a character on the show is an obvious homage or rip off, depending on how you view things), class struggle (Warren Demontegue [also voiced by Milano] is a pridefull classically-trained puppet who works on the show as Professor Ape for the money) , a seamy underside (provided by cast memebers Junction Jack [Bob Gunton], Dottie Sunshine [Dina Spybey] and Alison Kaiser [Sarah Silverman]) and slapstick comedy (Tardy the Turtle steals many of the scenes he's in) in "Greg the Bunny," making the show a lot more sophisticated then it seems at first glance.

I haven't seen the DVD collection yet, but it's coming out today and I will be getting it soon.

1 comment:

  1. I was curious as to what this show was about. I really liked Seth Green on Buffy The Vampire Slayer. I may have to give it a try. By the way, I would recommend Hellboy - The Director's Cut which also comes out today. I'll be going out to get that at lunch time. :)

    ReplyDelete