Monday, March 21, 2005

kevin and the superstars


The adidas Superstar 35th Anniversary City Editions

As a sneaker collector and a recovering shopaholic, I’ve made some pretty large sneaker purchases in the past. I have nothing on my friend Kevin. Yesterday, he found a cache of 35th anniversary Adidas Superstar shoes at Journeys in Greensboro.

For those that don’t know, Adidas has collaborated with artists, musicians and paid tribute to a number of cities with specially designed versions of the shell-toed basketball shoes. Some of the 35 designs are limited to production runs of only 300 pairs and some range as high as 3,000. All of the designs are highly coveted and are hard to find, which makes the appearance of 4 styles in an otherwise nondescript mall store in Greensboro something close to remarkable.

Kevin was able to find the New York, Boston, black embossed, and graphic versions at Journeys in his size. He asked me which ones he should guess, and I told him to decide for himself. So he ended up buying all four of them!

Although I don’t think I would have bought all of the shoes, he is making a decent investment. Each of the shoes is selling for double its retail price online and his size is popular enough that if he ever had to sell, he could probably get even more than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment