Thursday, January 06, 2005

my neighborhood: LiveMalls


livemalls.blogspot.com 1/6/04

Okay, I finally did it. After going for many years wanting to build my own mall, then my own mall website. I decided to take the plunge and create one of the latter, called LiveMalls. With so many people predicting the death of the enclosed mall in this generation, as well as the traditional department store, I figured there'd be no better time to try to chronicle and share what I knew about the culture-changing retail establishments that played a major role in creating the guy whose words you're reading.

I'm a mall guy. Without question, some of the best times of my life have occoured in, near, or around malls or because of the mall experience. Think what you will about the previous statement, because it is the truth.

I am in love with malls and department stores, though like any relationship, I'm not always pleased with my partner. This is where my training as an architect comes in. I've always wanted to build a better mall, a better department store: to refine what I've seen into something that is timeless, beautiful, beneficial, and, dammit, perfect. This is my goal. Of course that may never happen, but I'm doing everything I can to make it happen.

Whether you stop reading after this paragraph or you pore over my various blogs and websites to read my assembled knowledge on all things retail, you've helped me move twards my goal of educating the world about what I see as the important retail revolution we've all played a part in. For that, I thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment