Sunday, July 17, 2005

Happy 20th Birthday, Valley View Mall!

Today is officially Valley View Sunday at steve's blog

July 17, 1985 is a day that will live in Roanoke retail infamy. That day, Valley View Mall opened its doors and effectively killed Crossroads Mall, downtown Roanoke, and Roanoke-Salem Plaza's hopes of ever being regional retail destinations again, and seriously wounded Tanglewood Mall, the previous reigning king of regional malls in Southwest Virginia.

Over on LiveMalls, I've gathered several pictures I had of Valley View over the years from directories. I hope you'll check them out. This anniversary snucjk up on me from out of nowhere so Ihaven't had a lot of time to prepare. I'll have to try to add more stuff as time permits.

1 comment:

  1. Dammit! While I didn't have any online services I missed Valley View Sunday!

    ReplyDelete