Sunday, July 24, 2005

hey it's me linus

Okay, second ”me “ post in as many days. I wasn’t going to and Carrie kind of talked me into it without meaning to :-) That’s probably a good thing, by the way. I’ve gotten so wrapped up in what’s going on that I should talk about it instead of internalizing all the time.

On the sidebar I mention being like Linus or Franklin from “Peanuts.” Sometime tonight it hit me like a truck how real my sidebar musing is.

I was talking to my frequent poster about matters of love (not between us, though I did try to make something happen for a while) and realized that a number of my friends have (or have had) unrequited love or friendship for someone else and that the other person that could requite could really care less.

That, the one-sided love and less than ideal situations, when you think about it, is one of the themes of “Peanuts.” Charlie Brown digs the Little Red-Haired Girl and she doesn’t know he’s alive. Sally wants Linus, and he could care less because he likes Miss Othmar. His sister Lucy loves Schroeder, but Schroeder loves Beethoven. Both Peppermint Patty and Marcie like Charlie Brown, but he likes baseball more than both of them combined. And finally Snoopy likes to kiss Lucy on the nose but Lucy’s not having it. Had to throw one zinger in there. :-)

In the strip, nobody ever gets their problems solved and that too happens the same in real life. We tell ourselves we’re better and we move on, even though if that person that we really liked came back, we’d be back there to live the fantasy with them.

I can’t say that I have a lot of lost loves. I’m not a romantic, or at least I say that I’m not to fool myself into thinking I’m clinical enough to avoid that pesky “L” word. But still, there are some girls (at least two) and friends that I wish I could have gotten to know better and never had the chance to for whatever reason. You never get those days back and there’s no point of dwelling when life offers so much more to think about than if Miss Othmar knows you’re alive.

Closing? I don’t need no stinkin’ closing. :-)

Unrequited love music notes:
(Guys) If You Were Mine - George Howard
Listen
(Girls) He Doesn’t Know That I’m Alive - Janet Jackson Listen

1 comment:

  1. I have this peanuts strip I had on my wall in my old room and Charlie Brown was telling Patty that he wishes he could have someone when he was older to call him "poor sweet baby". And Patty thought it was hee larious, and at the end of the strip, Snoopy kisses Charlie Brown and thinks "poor sweet baby!"

    If I ever find it again I'll take a pic of it.

    ReplyDelete