Friday, July 29, 2005

memories of kaufmann's

Okay, I know we've been covered in department store stories today in Steve-land, but there's some more I want to share. I posted this at Tube City Almanac, in response to the death of Kaufmann's

Macy's is one of my favorite stores when I visit New York, but somehow I think when they set up in my town (replacing Hecht's), and towns across America, it'll just be the same old thing. Sadly, I know it will, if the stores in the DC area are any indication.

I knew the day would come when Kaufmann's et al, would bite the dust, but knowing doesn't make it any better. I just hope they keep the Downtown [Pittsburgh] store (but you know they won't, you just know it)

I collect shopping bags, among my other retail geeky hobbies and I remember inquiring at Kaufmann's a few years back and getting a beautiful lithographed one showing an illustration of the exterior of the store, complete with the famous clock. Not only is it one of the nicest bags I've ever gotten, it's also now a collector's item. I didn't even have to buy anything to get it; they just gave it to me.

Compare this to the cold reception I got from writing to Federated about the same time. they held their bags like they were a precious commodity and they weren't nearly as nice as my Kaufmann's bag when I eventually wrangled a couple from the individual stores.

No comments:

Post a Comment