Thursday, November 17, 2005

november 17 article - with a meaningful addition

She left out the most important part.

Here’s my November 17 article with the paragraph omitted by my editor added back in because it’s important to the story. The rest of the article is above.

Simply put, if you play basketball, you need good athletic shoes, specifically basketball shoes. Statistics suggest that improper footwear causes a majority of sports-related injuries, and most podiatrists and experts in sports medicine agree. The best thing for regular players to do is to buy a pair of basketball shoes specifically for the gym, and save the cross trainers, running shoes and hiking boots for casual wear.
How she could miss the point totally, I’ll never know. Enjoy.

6 comments:

  1. Good article.

    Did you write the "tip off"?
    Was the paragraph she left off suppose to go there or in the main body of the article?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote the "tip off," too. No byline there, but I won't sweat it.

    The paragraph that was omitted went in the main part of the story at the top. I think it was the most important tip in that section. The actual merchandise shown is irrelevant; it's just there for guidance and illustrative purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guess your editor differed in what she thought was the purpose of the article vs what you did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guess so. I understand that graphics sell papers, but I'd like to think that an article ought to be as informative as possible, even if it isn't as snappy and "sassy" as my editor prefers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooohh! so I'm (unwittingly) at the mall last Sunday, and anyway, there's this pair of NBA player- sponsored sneaks "that's got the court in 'em." A piece of wood, which is identified as 'a piece of wood' from some playa's court is embedded in the upper part of the heel, encased in plastic, like the hope diamond encased in glass at fort knox. Said piece of court is deigned to infuse buyer with the pure ethos of the game of (sponsored shoe representative player), thereby winning him/her great accolades/spiritual powers eminating from such sponsoring athletes............I think it's also deemed to be some reclaimable source from south america......

    It saddens me that I used to buy into such commerce-laden majesterial fantasies.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's the adidas TMAC 5. It's actually featured in the article right beside the Nike. I didn't mention the wood because I wanted to keep the gimmick factor kinda low.

    ReplyDelete