Monday, November 07, 2005

Reopening of mall descends into chaos

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) -- When shoppers couldn't wait to get into a mall for a reopening celebration and prizes, things got chaotic. Between 2,500 and 3,000 people who had gathered outside swarmed the mall, trapping 100 members of a high school marching band.

One person reported being assaulted.

"I saw people shoved around, kids separated from their parents, adults crying, people knocked down on the ground. I saw one woman with an ice bag on her head," band director Terry Rush said.

He said he was told the crowd would follow his musicians into the mall, but about 100 band members were overrun in the commotion.

Westfield Gateway was handing out 1,000 gift boxes, ten of which held $500, according to the mall's Web site.

6 comments:

  1. I'd give good money to see a tape of that!

    People go totally INSANE for free stuff...very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Insane for free stuff and insane for those "After Thanksgiving" Sales.

    Hey I want $500 too! (but not enough to smoosh you to the ground)

    ReplyDelete
  3. People go ape for free money. I think having the cash in the boxes is what caused that riot. People don't trample each other for door prizes otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This reminds me of the story you posted about the $50 laptop stampede...this kind of behavior scares me and makes me question how civilized we truly are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, the humanity!! It's like a feeding frenzy in the pig-pen....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’ve been unearthing some crazy mall stories lately, and this is probably the craziest I’ve heard so far.

    ReplyDelete