Thursday, August 25, 2005

the 420 dude

Today I was waiting on a client who was late and happened to step into the breakroom, where someone had turned the TV on "The Price is Right." I'm a major TPIR fan, and I figured since I was wating, I'd tune in.

A contestant named Evan (not that guy on the left) made it to Contestants' Row. Evan was likely a college student, and even more likely a stoner, because every time he would bid $420. His firends would swoon each time. The one time when $420. wasn't enough, he bid $1,420.

Apparently this dude had smoked enough pot that he decided to do his best Captain Obvious impression. I'll have to admit, it was funny as shit.

The funnier thing was that he almost made it onstage. An item came up (Peavy guitar and amp, for those taking notes) and he bid $420 again. A girl next to him bid $421. He was devastated.

He must have been psychic, because sure enough, the girl next to him had the highest bid without going over. Evan the Stoner almost won!

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely adore "TPIR"...I suppose I could say great minds (or great geeks) think alike...

    I often subject others to my views on how "TPIR" represents our consumer culture and America itself...I will save my ranting for a future P.U. post...but I have to say I enjoyed your "10 Great Things about The Price is Right." You understand why this game show remains fantastic after all these years.

    It seems a lof of people have bid $420 lately as an effort to be "cute" and represent the stoners among us. It shouldn't surprise us that stoners love "TPIR" -- who else (other than retirees) can watch the show every weekday morning? The fact that someone else bid $421 is funny as hell.

    It's obvious that "TPIR"'s days are numbered...Bob is at the point where he has "good days" and "bad days" and I doubt that CBS will continue to run the show after he finally retires. My advise is to watch the show while you still can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "TPIR" is an incredible show. I don't know if it will die with Bob Barker, but I have a feeling it might.

    He wasn't the first host of the show, but something about the way that his version worked really struck a chord with viewers. Whether it was Barker's Beauties, the music, the greed, Sue-Bee Honey or a combination of all that remains to be seen, but it rocks!

    I know I was additcted to that show before I went to school, and during summers afterward. Stealing a peek at it yesterday was like a special treat. I think I'd freak out if I ever got on the show!

    I hadn't noticed the 420 bidding before today, but I don't get to watch the show as much as I would like. Maybe they should start putting Funyons in the Showcases! LOL

    I'd love to hear your "TPIR" theories, Mitch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter was 2-3 yrs old and my son just a baby when I turned it on for them for the first time. They loved it. Bright lights, lots of happy people and colors. My daughter learned that a suitcase isnt just a suitcase, but is luggage and that a bed with a dresser is a bedroom group. They learned their numbers from that show. I remember when it first started coming on when I was small..and here it has gone through me and now my kids. Could you imagine if they ever started releasing seasons of tpir on DVD? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. No question, muddy, I'd have to get a season or two on TPIR if it did come out on DVD. That show meant a lot to me growing up.

    I'm glad to see that you and your kids got as much of a kick out of it as Mitch and I (and countless others) did, and for the same reasons :-)

    ReplyDelete