Thursday, August 25, 2005

august 25 article - with a goofy error

Finally after, three weeks of waiting, is my second column of the month, this time on Costco Wholesale. I’m glad to see it. If any of you took my advice and wrote to the paper asking to see more Retail Therapy columns, I want to express my sincere appreciation.

In her haste to get the column in this week (should have been last week, but that’s old news) my editor or the typesetter made a big boo-boo. I’ve attached a blow-up of what it is.

That is supposed to read .40 carats.

Like I said in the article, Costco buys at a discount and passes on the savings, but honestly, who the hell is proofreading this paper? 40 carat diamond earrings haven't been $400. since, say like, 1812?

If anyone wants to send that in to Jay Leno, be my guest.

2 comments:

  1. Great article, Steve. Keep on writing. I especially appreciate your effort to explain the differences between Wal-Mart and Costco...no two "big box" chains are exactly alike.

    Frankly, I wouldn't have noticed the "boo-boo" unless you pointed it out...like most people, I don't know jewelery that well.

    Keep on writing! You know retail better than most people...including me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mitch. I'm just glad to get an oppurtunity to share what I know with people. It's hard to find an outlet for retail knowledge unless you're directly in the industry.

    Trust me: if anyone tries to sell you 40 carats of diamonds for $400, have your jeweler's eye handy. They're either fake or the guy's an idiot on crack. If it's the latter, buy them fast!

    ReplyDelete