Thursday, August 04, 2005

i'm thinking arby's

One of the things that got the most attention in yesterday’s photoblog post was the picture of the Arby’s sign in Winston-Salem. I remembered I had a picture (above) of an old prototype Arby’s from the book Orange Roofs, Golden Arches by Phillip Langdon, and also found some interesting factoids about the chains's early days in that book.

Let me bore you for a second with these:

-- It was founded in 1964 in Boardman, Ohio, just outside Youngstown.

-- “Arby’s” was a name fashioned from the initials of its founders: Forrest and Leroy Raffel – the Raffel Brothers. Get it? R-B? Kinda cool.

-- The Raffel brothers originally wanted to call the place “Big Tex,” but couldn’t get the naming rights.

-- The “Kent-Vegas” style sign [good one, Carrie :-) ] was meant to attract attention and educate people about what Arby’s served, seeing as there were no other fast food roast beef restaurants. It was the standard Arby’s sign until 1975, when it was simplified to cut costs and reflect an expanding menu.

-- The first Arby’s were classy joints (for fast food places anyway). Bright yellow roof and gaudy sign notwithstanding, the first restaurants featured a chuckwagon motif with recessed lighting and stone veneer to attract a more upscale crowd than the burger joints.

Many of the original chuckwagon style restaurants got remodeled in the ‘70s and ‘80s, but kept their original signs until a few years ago. The numbers are dwindling as restaurants close or get remodeled.

Personally, I dig the old Arby’s signs. They’re big, garish and a little dated (and could be a little better maintained), but they’re also interesting from a design and advertising standpoint. It does what advertising is supposed to do: leave a lasting memory in the consumer’s mind. The design is unique and will likely never be replicated because signs like that cost a bundle to erect and maintain. It also works as nostalgia, because there was at least one of these suckers in every suburb in America in the ‘80s, which is when I remember it from.

I did happen to see, a few weeks ago, a largely un-remodeled former Arby's in the chcuckwagon style. It was in Durham, North Carolina in an older suburban area. The Arby’s had moved across the street to a new location, but the building, now used as a check cashing place, was still standing and recognizable as an Arby’s. In place of the ten-gallon hat sign were these humongous retro-looking neon signs that read CHECKS CASHED. I’ll try to get a picture next time I’m down that way.

4 comments:

  1. Arby's was a big deal in Phoenix when I was growing up. There was one across the street from Pioneer Park in Mesa (the park with the old train and jet airplane that I featured in my "Back to the '80's" photoset on Flickr). Often we'd get Arby's and eat it at the park. These days, I can't say I'm a big fan of the food, but I do get a craving once in awhile. Arby's are somewhat harder to find in L.A.

    There's an old-school Arby's with a "big hat" sign on Sunset Boulevard very close to my apartment in Hollywood. As I recall, it's fairly well maintained. I'll have to go and snap a few pictures of it...just wish it weren't so hot here since I'd like to resume my walking tours!

    Allow me to add that I'm quite happy there's at least one other person on the planet with a sign fetish comparable to mine! Keep it coming Steve!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to go to a math and science school in Roanoke and the other geeks and I (LOL) would take a bus over there each morning for a half-day session. On the way back we would stop at Arby's a lot. It was on the way.

    Before then, I really didn't go there that much. Occasionally at best, usually with my mom, who used to like Arby's pretty well, though it seemed expensive at the time compared to most fast food.

    I hadn't mentioned before that there's an Arby's in the Short Pump district of Richmond, Virginia that serves beer. No gaudy sign though; the movie theater next door has that covered :-)

    Yeah, I'm a sign guy too. I had a really cool neon one I tried to shoot the other day, but the camera phone woudn't cooperate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best deal at Arby's by far used to be the 5 Roast Beef and Cheddars for 5 dollars...but thanks to good ole fashioned inflation, I think now they're 5 for 6 bucks. It's just not the same! All this Arby's talk makes me think there is a Roast Beef 'n' Cheddar smothered with Arby Sauce in my future....

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Roast Beef 'n' Cheddar is my favorite, too. Gotta have the curly fires on the side to make it complete.

    ReplyDelete