Monday, August 22, 2005

um, church shorts?

Note from Steve: how do you know the casualization of the workplace has gone too far? Read below.

By DAVE CARPENTER, AP Business Writer

Just as one of the hottest summers in years started to sizzle, a Peoria, Ill.-based insurer took a bold step for a conservative company in a staid industry: It let its employees wear shorts to the office.

Not just any shorts on any day, mind you. They must be the type worn to church or the boss' barbecue, according to RLI Corp. Vice President Mike Quine, and the temperature has to be at least 90.

"It creates a little different kind of culture," said Quine, whose "Condition 90" memo in June proved one of his most popular ever with employees. "It makes people more relaxed."

During heat waves at least, shorts in the office are the new frontier of business casual, the relaxed style of garb that began often substituting for suits and ties in the late '80s and early '90s.

While Fortune 500 corporations are sticking with the long-pants look, some smaller firms across the country have loosened their policies to the point where what once was appropriate for the beach or the ballpark now works in the office too.

"Work can be challenging enough without oppressive heat and humidity," explained spokesman Kevin Dugan of Cincinnati-based FRCH Design Worldwide, an architecture and design firm whose 175 employees are encouraged to wear shorts on particularly sweltering days.

In a true sign of dresswear-decadent times, a few firms have even instituted Flip-Flop Fridays. Garden of Life, a nutritional supplements maker based in West Palm Beach, Fla., lets its 160 employees wear shorts and flip-flops on summer Fridays for a $10 donation to charity that is matched by the company.

But beware where you wear those shorts — some business etiquette experts say they can easily send the wrong message.

"I tend to think shorts are too casual," said CEO Peter Handal of Dale Carnegie Training, a Hauppage, N.Y.-based firm that trains corporations in management and workplace issues. "That's just not businesslike."

The most casual Handal ever dresses at work is khakis and a shirt with a collar and no tie. In any case, shorts and tank tops are hardly necessary in an air-conditioned office, he noted.

"If you want to come to work in a T-shirt because it's ungodly hot, then you just put on another shirt when you get there," he said.

Despite the authorization of shorts at a few companies, the overall trend toward more casual attire may be slowing down. More employers have drawn up formal dress codes to ensure that workers don't push relaxed standards too far, and recent survey results show a desire among employers to see the work force adopt more conservative fashions.

Handal sees evidence that companies are actually getting dressier in the last couple of years, with Fortune 500 and other large firms becoming more formal in their business dress.

Similarly, business etiquette expert Lydia Ramsey has noticed a swing back toward business professional attire and away from business casual among the companies that hire her because ultra-casual creates sticky issues. The problem, she said, is "a lot of skin" — a loosening of standards that extends all the way to men showing chest hair and women showing cleavage, with sandals and flip-flops galore.

"In the last few years in the summertime, people really do let go," said Ramsey, who owns the firm Manners That Sell in Savannah, Ga. "Some companies are really trying to go back in the other direction" because their clients aren't comfortable with it, she said.

But the bounds of what's professional dress are a bit fuzzy these days.

"It's a real touchy issue to call someone into the office and try to tell someone that they aren't dressed properly," Ramsey said. "No one wants to do that."

RLI, a property-casualty insurer with $584 million in revenue last year, only switched away from coat-and-tie to business casual five years ago. Seeing positive morale results, Quine now sees to it that the 350 headquarters employees are reminded in the daily company e-mail that they can wear shorts and sandals or Birkenstocks — no rubber flip-flops, please — the next day if it's going to be 90 degrees outside.

The company didn't want employees wearing shorts every day for reasons of professional appearance, he said. But little did Quine know the area would experience about two dozen workdays above that temperature this summer.

"It seemed like a good idea at the time," he said with a laugh.

7 comments:

  1. If a dude is going to wear shorts to work, he just better make sure he has undies on...I remember the anecdote you told when you shared a previous article about casual attire at the office...ugh!

    Today I observed a female co-worker who looked like she just woke out of bed. She works in a division that doesn't deal directly with the public, but I still thought her disheveled appearance was inappropriate.

    I would love to wear a T-shirt, shorts, and flip-flops to work, but would anyone (especially the people I cite) take me seriously?

    I wonder if our society was more civil in the days when men and women wouldn't go out in public unless they were well-dressed...I think falling standards in appearance can lead to falling standards in behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to wonder if the company with the Condition 90 memo has air conditioning? I sit underneath an air conditioning vent and would never even dream of wearing short sleeves to work lest I'd freeze my butt off! Some girls even have little space heaters underneath their desks! I do not see how 90 degree weather correlates with the need to wear shorts in the office...especially if you're leaving for work at 7am when the sun has yet to heat things up.

    This raises the question: why exactly does corporate America feel the need to keep the air conditioning at a frigid 40 degrees Fahrenheit? I have yet to set foot in a tepid office building, with the exception of one with a broken air conditioner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe it recirculates the air, so that rather than getting a cold (again) from some random person down in accounting, who gave it to half of the mailroom, dropping it by your office, you can get peeneumonia from freezing to death in your midriff bearing crop-top and shorts. And piercings (I hear metal's miserable when cold.)

    (response to archived 'shorts are for the office, guys!' just submitted...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wear shorts to church, so I know what this would mean.

    However...wearing shorts to work would certainly depend on the type of job done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was talking to my mom about this article and she brought up an interesting point.

    She said “You know, if a kid gets on a ball team, they’re required to dress in uniforms and nobody complains. Doesn’t matter how expensive the stuff is, if the kid wants to be on it, we parents strain to make sure they have the right stuff.”

    She continued: “But if you ask those same people to put on something nice to go to God’s house or to work, they complain and bitch and moan and try to say ‘you’re being old fashioned’ and ‘trying to put on airs.’ ”

    I agree with what she’s saying. If something we think is fun (or puts us in a position where people can admire us) requires us to act a certain way (that isn’t as important as work or church, by the way), we’ll bend over backwards to fit in, but stuff that truly requires some kind of professional clothing assimilation like being at work or church, we want to be individuals all of a sudden and refuse to conform.

    Anyway, I have to admit that I’ve worn shorts to work a few times, when I was working at the place with the guy with shorts and no drawers. I decided to try to fit in by dressing down, though I always wear underwear. It was summer and it was hot outside, so I figured what the hell.

    I felt like an individual at first, and also felt like I fit in better…until clients stopped by unannounced. Unless I knew them fairly well as individuals, I would get embarrassed because I wasn’t looking professional. For a while I kept extra pants in the desk drawer, but eventually I just stopped wearing shorts and went back to my old attire.

    If that wasn’t enough, it started seeming really cold in the office with shorts on. I remember one day in particular I was wearing some chino shorts and my blucher mocs sockless that I start getting a cold from the air conditioning. Luckily, that was when I had my spare pants handy along with some DayQuil. It ws reinforcing how bad a descision I had made, especially considering how cold they kept that place. It was an old bank records storage building that had thick concrete walls and floors, so it held in the A/C almost too well.

    Anyway, I’d never try shorts at church either. I grew up Pentecostal, and it took my aunts growing up and enlightening my conservative grandmother to get the church rules loosened up enough to even wear makeup and jewelry, much less jeans, shorts, flip-flops or pants on women. It wasn’t quite a “Footloose” church; we did have dancing (and a full band) but it wasn’t far off.

    That’s stuck with me, and even though my grandma’s been dead for five years, I’m not planning on setting foot at my church for services dressed any less than appropriately in professional attire.

    Mitch: I think people would take you less seriously in your position if you came to work dressed like you were headed to the beach. I know that was the case for me.

    In a lot of ways, society was more civil when people dressed better to meet each other. There was, and is, a measure of respect for a well-dressed person that a shabbily dressed person can't get.

    On the other hand, the countercultural revolution that produced the relaxed rules of dress we live with now benefitted society with more freedom for everyone, even though it's not very pretty to look at.

    Carrie: I think they crank up the air conditioning to keep the office smelling fresher, kind of like a refrigerator. At higher temperatures, the mistakes of poor hygeine rear their funky heads.

    Another reason is that when men wear lined suits, dress shirts and undershirts, it can get rather warm. Since men disporportiantely make the climate control decisions in a typical office, they crank the A/C up to suit them, leaving the women to freeze (and get hard nipples, but that's TOTALLY another story)

    Heather: sounds reasonable; peeneumonia never hurt anyone.

    Muddy: Unless omeone was outside a lot on their job in the summer or didn't have A/C available, I can't see much point in wearing shorts at work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband has worked jobs(and is in one currently as a warehouse manager) where wearing shorts is very practical. All have been inside. Not every business cranks their AC to 40 degrees. He is on the go constantly on his job and this building heats up like an oven. Add to that the fact that the truck docks are open letting in heat from the outside. Last year I do not recall him wearing jeans(another option there) very often as it was still hot all winter long. Like I said, I think it depends on the job and the expectations there. If wearing shorts at your job make you feel uncomfortable, then it probably isnt appropriate...at least not for you. Different jobs have different demands and expectations.

    As for church-

    But the LORD said to Samuel, “Do not look at his appearance or at his physical stature, because I have refused him. For the LORD does not see as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.” 1 samuel 16:7

    God isnt looking at what we wear to church. God is looking at our heart condition. Man is the one that has set what is appropriate to wear. If we were to dress as Jesus did trying to mimic the Lord, we'd be wearing sheets.

    I grew up in a very formal Southern Baptist Church. I now attend a less formal service at a non denominational Calvary Chapel in Apex NC. (calvarycary.org) The service itself is very much directed to Jesus....what I wear is not a part of it. I respect your feelings where church clothing is concerned...but what I wear has little bearing on my relationship with the Lord. It is not a reflection of how I feel for the Lord. He isnt looking to check my lables or to see if I am wearing stockings and a dress...he is looking at my heart that has come to worship and praise Him. No one is asking me to dress one way and I wear shorts in definance. It is a casual atmosphere and is natural to come as you are. Some dress up, some come more casually. Its all good. No one is distracted by what Im wearing, nor am I by them because we have come to worship...with the center being Jesus alone

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can respect your opinions and I agree with you. You are right: God judges us by the content of our hearts and not by what we wear. Believing othersise is a misinterpetation of His Word.

    But dressing up for church is a part of my upbringing, and by doing so I feel like I am offering my best to the Lord, inside and out. That has nothing to do with brand names, it has to do with presenting myself in a manner I deem appropriate.

    ReplyDelete