Friday, August 12, 2005

friends don't let friends wear K-Swiss

If I may rant about something that’s already very well covered in this blog – shoes – I’d like to take a moment to ask the general public a question: why are K-Swiss brand sneakers are so popular?

I’m not talking about the classic circa 1966 tennis model, which is iconic (and was worn by just about every cute girl in my middle school when they weren’t rocking the Sebago Campsides). No, I’m talking about the funky, severely dated “I can’t believe they’re not Sketchers” models that inexplicably anchor the shelves every bad sneaker store, particularly at my local mall, Valley View.

Admittedly, I am a sneaker snob. My collection is large but it’s edited down to pairs that are either well designed, comfortable, or at least match my gear (you should see the looks when I’ve got my Green Bay Packers ensemble with matching Nike Terminators on).

And I don’t have a ‘thing’ against white sneakers, even in the winter. I used to, because I used to be the height I am now (6’-3”) with the same size feet (13) and was 135 pounds. When you’re skinny and rocking the all white Nike Driving Force hi-tops circa 1990, as I was, you, like me, would look like a Q-Tip. Luckily, now I’ve grown into my feet and head and don’t look so out of proportion and that really is the key on the white-on whites as opposed to other sneaker colors.

Which leads me to my original point. The modern K-Swiss models are horrible! It’s like the soles on these things are a foot thick and the uppers are largely devoid of ornamentation, except for the occasional splash of “bling” provided by faux silver and gold accents. Veeery Claaaassy! I’ll take a lot of things on sneakers but metallics and platform soles are just sad.

I could see these awful design features being selling points a half-decade ago, when it was all about the Frankenstein look in footwear. Girls wore platforms on every shoe, even platform flip-flops for chrissakes! Guys wore tractor tire loafers and boots, always with a square toe to emphasize the gawkiness of the design. They didn’t seem so bad at the time, but the other day I went into Marshalls and saw them trying to get rid of some of these monstrosities and realized how silly this crap looks in retrospect.

Steve Madden should be taken out into the street and flogged with his own awful footwear. He started this garbage and everyone else followed. If the crowd has any energy left after that, they should pummel the folks from GBX and Sketchers, too.

But fashion, finally, has moved on and traditionally styled shoes are all the rage…unless you’re near me. For some reason if you’re within a 50 mile radius of Steve-land, and not Steve, someone will lead you to thinking that giant K-Swiss, coupled with the requisite stem to stern Tommy Hilfiger ensemble complete with jean carpenter shorts (shudders) is still rockin’.

I got curious about these awful shoes one day. I went to a Rack Room Shoes store in a town where nobody knew me and decided I would try on some “phat“ K-Swiss. I tried to make it as scientific as possible by trying on several pairs to see if any of them were any good.

They totally suck! They’re heavy for their size, they’re not designed very well (my feet looked like glaciers), and on top of all that, they weren’t remotely comfortable or even affordable. Put five more dollars to your average pair and you can get a pair of shell-top Adidas (or Stan Smiths), or some Nike Air Force 1s, or at least a sensible cross-trainer from New Balance. Any of those choices either looks or feels better than the shitty K-Swiss.

Also, I thought that the point behind sneakers was that, if pressed, you could possibly use them for an athletic activity. What athletic activity do you use a K-Swiss platform Franken-shoe for? Competitive eating? World Poker Championships? Is wearing a Corona visor backwards while hollering to your cousin now sanctioned by the NCAA?

So why the hell would anyone buy these? I think I know the answer, at least for the guys: I think our wives and girlfriends are buying this crap and telling us it’s cool! Since most guys shop for clothes solely on the basis of need and could care less about what’s the latest style, we take them and go on. It’s bound to be the answer.

No guy would consciously go pick out something to wear on his feet that looks like a shoe for a 12 year old girl without being nudged by the missus, who thinks it’s cute for both halves of the couple to have matching outfits down to the sneakers. It is cool, mind you, if you’re in love with that person and if the sneakers don’t look like ASS!

The prospect of getting laid for wearing (or doing) something that’s questionable by yourself is never far from the average guy’s mind. I know when I was trying on mine at the aforementioned Rack Room, the cutest salesgirl in the store came up to me and told me “those look really hot on you.”

Now, I love salespeople, especially female salespeople, but I can tell when I’m getting a snowjob. There was like half a wall of these Franken-shoes behind me and even if I thought buying these shoes was going to get me some trim, I would have had to fight her husband to get it, as she was wearing a wedding ring. I left rather disappointed.

I have a theory: maybe K-Swiss is using some sort of mind-control devices in their ugliest sneakers. Think about it: tiny little transmitters subliminally telling redneck and ghetto girls “Buy more Franken-shoes. Buy them for yourself. Buy them for your families. Get everyone a pair of Franken-shoes

After they buy the god-awful things for the whole Clampett family, the second set of transmitters kicks in and whispers ”Never clean these Franken-shoes. Get them really dirty on the bottom and sides. Come to the mall in packs wearing your Hilfiger and Franken-shoes, but don’t buy sneaker cleaner.

Okay, so maybe my transmitter theory is washed up. But so are these K-Swiss!

If you know someone with the problems described above, do the world a favor and get them to a reputable shoe store! While there, make sure they never reach for anything remotely Franken-shoe like, which means kindly lead them away form the K-Swiss display for their own good. Do not let them leave until they’ve bought something people in 2005 find fashionable, even if it’s flip-flops.

Once you have the Franken-shoes out of arms’ reach, have the salesperson throw them away; in the incinerator if at all possible. No need of passing those on to charity, that just starts the cycle again.

My point to this rant; with so much choices out here when it comes to footwear, people deserve better than this awful “welcome to 1999” crap that we’re subjected to look at. If you know an offender, help them; if you are the offender, seek fashion help! Or just call me. I brought it up. I can be your Sneaker Rehab Therapist.

7 comments:

  1. Oh come on! You don't think white-on-white K-Swiss would look awesome with a white tailed tuxedo on a scrawny druggie with a gambling addiction and a beer gut for a Labor Day weekend wedding?? (JUST KIDDING!) I somehow feel that this article is inadvertently pointed in my direction...(he had like 5 pairs of K-Swiss) How do you feel about those throw-back Asics??

    By the way, have you ever had the joy of shopping at Shoe Carnival?? It's your typical shoe store with the exception of the fact that there is a circus-style ringmaster announcer at the front of the store that harasses the customers while they shop, vis-a-vis some sort of auctioneer offering loud and unsolicited discounts and advice. It's way tacky....

    ~Carrie =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shoe Carnival is so out there its not even cool or funny. I was in there once in 2001 and the ringleader guy was on his microphone asking customers who had the oldest coin in their wallets/pockets. The only one who participated was this little girl who begged her mom for a penny or something.

    People wore ugly shoes like those K Swisses when I was a junior in high school (1999-2000).

    I don't even know what the kids wear today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, where do I start with Shoe Carnival? The selection is so-so, though the prices are good, even great when they have their BOGO offer, but that barker has to go.

    It was cool at first because it was something different and all, but after a while I noticed that the discounts he gave out were not the humiliation. Who wants to be made a spectacle of for a $1.00 discount. $5.00, I could say it was worth it, but a buck?

    The latest one that opened in Roanoke is happily barker free, but it's not as distinctive.

    Carrie's post on her fiancé's idea of wedding attire did get me to thinking about how truly awful K-Swiss are. But only the modernized ones. The old-school ones and the models designed directly for tennis are okay, though still not my first choice.

    Carrie: Five pairs of K-Swiss? ACK! He was on drugs ;-)

    The throwback Asics are okay with the requisite boot-cut jeans and track jacket, not so great with shorts. I can stand them on girls better than I can on guys partially because of the thin sole profile. The “Kill Bill” craze with Uma Thurman and company looking very cool in their Asics undoubtedly influences my opinion.

    The best part about the Asics throwbacks is that they haven't been overdone, which is more than I can say for Pumas, which can be nice, but every other wannabe hipster is rocking them, and badly.

    The Puma craze pretty much started around here after they reported that Dale Earnhardt Jr. wore Pumas, and then legions of #8 fans all lined up to buy them. Sheesh. A good thing can become a bad thing in a hurry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. seems like the all-white k-swiss phase was especially big around '99/'00, but there are still quite a few people around here that wear them. especially in the summer. guess it's a southern thing.

    i'm not a big fan of the style either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tim: Yeah, it seems a little more Southern, thiuh I've seen the look all over the country, at least the parts of the country that I've been to recently. Carrie was saying that they do it in Wisconsin as well.

    I can stand the K-Swiss on women a little better than on men, kinda like Keds. Keds are not a winning look on dudes either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm 29 and I just bought the K Swiss Classic Luxury Edition. I'm not going to lie I like them I like my shoes to be old school style stuff that I wore when I was in High school. If you don't like them that's cool that's your problem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't really taking about the classic K-Swiss, but to each their own.

      Delete