Monday, December 12, 2005

JCPenney Catalog Fall/Winter 1980

from Yahoo! Picks

Remember 1980? Odd color palettes and synthetic fabrics were all the rage, and these questionable fashions could be found shimmering on the pages of the JCPenney catalog.

This site provides scans of numerous pages from the two-and one-half-decade-old Penney's Fall/Winter collection. Check out a real hoot of an owl-themed bathroom, a disturbing bearded skier, comfortable bowling shoes ("always a point-maker"), and, of course, Underoos. If these teasers whet your appetite, browse the entire hideous collection of clothes that beg the question, "What were we thinking?"

Related: it came from the 1971 sears catalog

4 comments:

  1. Hey we were cool then! LOL I was 13/14 years old and in Jr High...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's particularly scary is that a lot of those styles are back in fashion today...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is why I shopped at Nordstrom. Not like I actually shopped there in the sense of buying anything, 'cause nothing fit me, but Penney's was so freakin' frumpy! What's with that sports logo shirt? That's only gonna look good in 30 years on some cute hipster 23-year old, not on that kid. Penney's has stepped it up a notch in recent years, to say the least......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Muddy: My family and I were rocking that stuff too. I was a 4-5 year old. We went to JCPenney all the time. Actually, we went to the JCPenney I showed on the entry above. :-)

    Chris: I'm not sure if the teens of today realize they're wearing the exact same things their parents wore when they were their age. They'll freak when reality sets in.

    ghetto snob: Around age 12 or so, we had the JCPenney/Sears backlash in our household, too. Nobody was wearing clothes from there when my brother and I were in middle school (or so we thought), and we wanted more fashionable stuff. The rest was history :-)

    ReplyDelete