Sunday, October 23, 2005

The old Carolina Circle Mall lives on -- at least in cyberspace

Note from Steve: This article appaered in today's News & Record about my friend Billy, who runs the Carolina Circle City blog. Kinda nice to see someone from Steve-land make the paper, especially for an excellent site like his.

Greensboro News & Record

To everything there is a season, and a blog to every purpose under heaven.

Consider the case of a new Web log devoted entirely to Carolina Circle Mall.

Carolina Circle is no more, pounded into so much rubble and scraped away to make room for a new Wal-Mart. All that's left is red clay, clumps of uprooted trees and brush and scattered stacks of rusty steel girders.

Coming soon: another temple to low prices and low wages. Hoo-rah.

But the loving new blog keeps the memories alive and sees life through the shops and promenades of what used to be one of the most pleasant places to shop in Greensboro.

Titled "Carolina Circle City," and authored by a self-described 15-year-old Sagittarian named "Billy," the site covers any and everything you'd want to know about The Mall that Time Forgot -- and more.

Billy Coore of McLeansville is a ninth-grader at Pendle Hill Christian School." A lot of my childhood was there," he says of the old mall. "I have many, many memories there."

Adds his dad, John Coore: "He's been crazy about that mall ever since he was a baby."

So it was no surprise when Billy prodded his dad to take him out to the old mall to shoot photos and video recently as dozers and excavators picked it apart.

In a Q&A with himself about Carolina Circle, the young blogger makes clear his affection. For instance:

Q. What was your favorite version of the mall? Ice Rink Version or Carousel Version?

A. Carousel Version. I grew up going to the Carolina Circle with ... a carousel. Even though I was born after the ice rink years, if it wasn't for the carousel, I wouldn't care about the mall as much.

Q. What was your favorite store?

A. Montgomery Ward. It had everything from your electronics to your apparel. I remember that smell it always had outside and inside. It's too unique to describe. During the demolition, I could still smell it.

I can't say that I still smell the old mall. Some say I didn't smell the coffee, either, about its inevitable demise.

I still believe to this day that Guilford County could have saved the sprawling off-white building if it had only followed through with a plan to place court space and county offices there and to locate a branch of GTCC there.

Part of that devotion was rational and eminently practical (which, of course, may have sealed its fate; the commissioners aren't exactly known for being rational or practical). So the commissioners balked. The deal never happened.

Then Dr. Don Linder came along and attempted a sports complex called Pyramids Village. I was more skeptical about that one, but still hopeful. Linder had lots of cash and cachet.

During one meeting at the complex he produced slick brochures and marketing studies about the projected residential growth in the area and the demand for such a facility. Already, his new soccer fields on part of the old mall's parking lots were booked with youth and adult soccer teams. Next, he assured me, he'd attract retail shops. Heck, he might even build a ballpark out there.

The rest, as they say, is misery. Linder's grand plan never fully played out. He sold part of the complex to the city. The rest he now plans to develop as a shopping center with Wal-Mart as the anchor.

One thing you can say for sure: Carolina Circle had the right name. Round and round it went, always stopping precisely where it had begun: nowhere.

But I think I've finally pinpointed its appeal to me. Like Billy, I grew up with it, and I remember its brief heyday in the 1970s and early '80s, when there were shops and people and the famous ice skating rink (unlike Billy, I preferred the rink to the carousel that replaced it).

And I preferred Carolina Circle to Four Seasons because it was smaller, friendlier and more intimate. It had many of the same stores, but you could shop there during Christmas season and not feel overwhelmed. There were big stores and little ones. There was Montgomery Ward, which remained until the bitter end. There was my college buddy, who managed one of the record stores there.

Now, shopping seems to be going back to the future. Malls are passe and old-fashioned shopping centers, where you actually have to walk outside in fresh air, are back in vogue. A new retail development, the Village at North Elm, takes the concept a step further, affecting the look and feel of a little self-contained town, complete with streets and alleys. It looks promising.

Still, I'll miss the dingy old hulk off U.S. 29. Though probably not half as much as Billy Coore.

6 comments:

  1. And I thought nothing exciting was going to happen this weekend. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, you never know...

    You need to link those photo galleries you showed us on UrbanPlanet to CCM City. It would really enhance the site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mall geeks are popping up like Starbucks, man!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m in California but some of my fondest memories were of the mall too. Ice skating with my siblings and then the New York pizza treats. I’m looking for old streets and buildings but I think they are all gone now. Way back in the late 70s. Thank you for this post.

    ReplyDelete