Thursday, June 15, 2006

Do you have low self-esteem?

Morris Rosenberg, Society and the Adolescent Self-Image (1989) Wesleyan University Press

To find out, decide whether you strongly agree, agree, disagree, or strongly disagree with the following statements:

I feel that I'm a person of worth, at least on an equal plane with others.

I feel that I have a number of good qualities.

All in all, I am inclined to feel that I am a failure.

I am able to do things as well as most other people.

I feel I do not have much to be proud of.

I take a positive attitude toward myself.

On the whole, I am satisfied with myself.

I wish I could have more respect for myself.

I certainly feel useless at times.

At times I think I am no good at all.

Scoring:
For items 1, 2, 4, 6, 7: Strongly Agree = 3, Agree = 2, Disagree = 1, Strongly Disagree = 0
For items 3, 5, 8, 9, 10: Strongly Agree = 0, Agree = 1, Disagree = 2, Strongly Disagree = 3

The highest score possible is 30; the lowest is zero. No cut-off scores distinguish high from low self-esteem, but higher scores mean higher self-esteem.

7 comments:

  1. There is only room for one stephen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i won't let you break my heart again, steve....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephen: That's why I'm Steven

    Fist: That wasn't me, that was Stephen. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. okay, these questions are so stupid. and again, with the gender: especially for anyone of my generation or older, women are always going to score lower on this test than men. men generally inflate their abilities, women always downplay theirs. there is a cultural function to this, and I imagine a chemical one. my son cannot get over how special he is. I couldn't do shit right growing up.

    the women I work with have a completely different idea of their place in the schematic than I ever did, and are eager to point out the flaws in the (highly cocky, flawed) men whom we've just hired, wherein I reflexively give them the benefit of the doubt. who's responsible? 20 years of history, among other things....

    so doesn't this then reinforce my point about how scew-y these results are? women have lower self-esteem, women value relationships, men value conquest. so of course women are going to score higher toward love/hate. the only men I can picture scoring highly are perched in clocktowers, surrounded by AK-47's and conspiracy literature, mumbling, through tear-strained sobs, "bitch will pay, I swear. this whole town is gonna pay..!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Men are full of...ego. I always use the example of the balding man with two teeth and a beer gut still thinking he's a player, but there are plenty of others.

    Long story short. Women are tired. And even though I'm part of the problem, I can see why you're frustrated as a sex with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your playa:

    godamnbitch: bes'sho'nuf git'here b'for'dawn'n makeusupsumpancakes if she know'z wuts good f'her... igotstasortoutthemoneyshebinmakin' and that's a lot'a werk f'me....bitch.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know what I'd do without you, and I don't want to find out ;-)

    ReplyDelete