Sunday, June 11, 2006

my blogging philosophy, in part

Amy was asking me some quesions about my blog and blogging and I thought I'd post a little of what I told her, because it actually sounds helpful, especially to people just starting out with this:

I really didn't find my voice as a writer until I started blogging. I started out very slow and awkward and I didn't really pick up until I had done it about a year or so. I augmented my own writings and pictures with a lot of articles at first, but in the last few months, I've turned down the gimmicks and still get 80% of the traffic did when I was working twice as hard.

I think it's important when you start blogging to write primarily for yourself and not worry about if anybody's reading. If you're fighting the good fight, people will come. I did this for about six months before I had my first comment, but these days I always hear something from somebody every day.

Promotion helps a little. I post on several message boards and link back to the blog when appropriate. A lot of people look at what you link and leave, but every once in a while, you can gain some regular readers (and friends) from it.

That's all I can come up with right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment