Wednesday, June 22, 2005

random thoughts for today | june 23, 2005

-- When a old mall remodels, JCPenney exterior retrofits are almost always horrible as a rule. The ones I've seen redone tend to look like ass. Coliseum Mall in Hampton, Virginia has one of the better looking contemporary ones I've seen from that era. Some of them they tried to make symmetrical, but most of the later ones tried to mix it up a little. Sometimes the results were good (Regency Square) sometimes bad (Cloverleaf Mall).

If you ask me, I kinda like Penney's being dated on the outside. The one at Tanglewood is one of my favorite stores because it's so 1973 and it brings back so many memories for me. All of those Penney's stores (built roughly from 1965-1976) were cool because even though they all had similar elements (escalator wells, basic layouts) none of them are exactly alike. I'd love to go all around the country and photograph the basic store type just to examine the variations from one mall to another.

-- Random photos can be fun sometimes.

-- There was this girl I really liked in high school that I could never get to go out with me, though we hung out all the time. We were in OM (Odyssey of the Mind) together. She asked me to sign her yearbook and I rambled on for at least a couple pages. It was odd, even for me, but I guess the thought that I would probably never see her again set off something in my head. I miss Brianna, but I don't know whatever happened to her. Brianna Ross, where are you? :-)

-- I don't know what I think of the metrosexual trend. I mean, I'm a pretty vain guy and I use stuff that could be considered beauty products (toner. body wash, cologne) but I'm not really fussy about moisturizing and exfoliating and tightly fitting clothes or anything. I'm more like a regular guy that knows his fashion and appearance products. I'm not sure if that's metro or not.

-- Other than some old school hip-hop that I hear on holidays on the radio stations I listen to or some selected smooth jazz, I've got no interest in going back to what was on the radio in the early '90s. Ask me tomorrrow and you may get a different answer.

-- There’s a whole wing of Tanglewood Mall that’s still empty and I don’t imagine that they’re going to leave it that way. I have suspicions that Value City, Kohl’s, Steve & Barry’s University Sportswear, Costco or Boscov’s may be looking at the area (possibly Tanglewood) but I have no proof to back my supicions up…yet.

-- Some girls seem to seem to have a thing for the skinny geeky guys in glasses. On behalf of all skinny geeky guys in glasses, we thank you. :-)

-- We used to go to Hamrick's in Winston-Salem when I was little, and there’s one in Greensboro now. It's mostly clothes in a T.J. Maxx meets Goody’s-type vein. Hopefully, they’ve changed to a little more modern merchandise by now (haven’t been in one since the ‘80s) but I remember that they used to sell the Levi’s Bend-Over polyester slacks and matching tops. A little grandma-ish, to my recollection. Like I said, hopefully they’re better by now, but the polyester is what I remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment