Monday, September 05, 2005

doing the DC shuffle

I'm back from Washington and i had fun. I have a few things to talk about, but words fail me at the moment. I didn't get home until late last night and I was talikng to Mom most of the midnight hours. So right after this I'm going to bed.

In the meantime, this is some random stuff I saw in the DC area over the weekend. I'll talk more about it later today:

Keep in mind, people didn't always know how to ride escalators.

1, 2, 3, 4
1, 2, 3, 4
1-2-3-4
CONNECT 4
!

Another Gyro Lady sighting in Georgetown. Hubba-hubba!

FOR LEASE: one perfectly preserved former dime store in a killer location in Northwest Washington.

This Starbucks doubles as an elevator surround at Tysons Galleria.

Now THAT'S a cool light fixture. Straight from 1959 (and proud of it) from the oldest branch store of The Hecht Co. still operating in its original location and configuration at Prince Georges Plaza.

Make a run for the food court. They may have de-emphasised the vauguely Mexican restaurant decorations, but in Hyattsville, Maryland, the old Taco Bell logo lives on in neon.

7 comments:

  1. You truly take the weirdest tourist pictures ever. Where is that Murphy's? I don't even remember a Murphy's in D.C., but they only let me out on three-day weekends........

    Also, what's the connect-four building? My favorite is the Fram Oil filter building in D.C. I can't remember what it housed.....

    Glad you had fun. I'm going to go grasp my child's hand firmly before ascending the stairs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a good trip to the Capital City. That looks like a cool Starbucks/elevator.

    PS: I think I saw that Gyro lady poster at the deli near my house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather: I got some more conventional pics coming up, though there's a lot of retail involved. haha

    That Murphy's is on Wisconsin Avenue in the Tenleytown area, right next to an old Giant Food store with its orginal 1940s/50s signage. I got somewhat better pictures that I might offer to Jason for the book.

    The Connect Four building is the Lord & Taylor on Western Avenue near Chevy Chase. It's truly a relic from another era.

    The old retail is a consitent theme throughout the photoset (shocking!)

    You'll see.

    Billy: I had a great time. Since it's not that far from the house but yet so different from here, it's a good weekend trip.

    I first encountered Gyro Lady at a Greek diner in college. She's been a fixture at diners and delis for years :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaaaaauugh!! I WORKED at the Lord & Taylor in Chevy Chase. One christmas. Plus two days in January until I couldn't handle one more old lady with a return because there was an invisible loose thread in the blouse, 'right here....'

    Of course I don't recognize it without context, but I new it seemed familiar.....

    Tenleytown: Red Line? I need to look this up.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Lord & Taylor is like "the store that time forgot." The fashions change from year to year, but it's been almost the exact same since the '50s. Being out there by itself off the main drag wouldn't work for any other store but them.

    If you worked retail for the "somewhat rich" at L&T, you get an automatic gold star! At stores, poor and middle-class people usually just want their money back, rich people want to be friendly, but those few in between who are "almost rich" are assholes! They want to be catered to like royalty for a $2.00 purchase!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It really was quite an experience. This was actually my only venture into department-store retail, and I do remember numerous little vignettes (most of them having everything to do with class) like they were yesterday. And believe me, it wasn't yesterday...

    That's the thing about doing something only for a month though: your awareness of everything is so sharp, and a year or more of the same would obscure the details into one indistinguishable glob of work-related images....

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's true. It's like (at least for me) seeing the first episode of a TV series. I can usually remember the images pretty well of the first show, and then the others turn into a blur.

    ReplyDelete