Wednesday, September 21, 2005

the soundtrack of my life.

Mitch found this website that will tell you the #1 pop hits in the US and UK for practically any date north of 1955. I've been on one of those quiz kicks lately anyway, so this was right up my alley.

Here are the songs that were #1 on the day I was born (August 30, 1975):

US - Get Down Tonight - KC & The Sunshine Band Listen
UK - Can't Give You Anything (But My Love) - The Stylistics Listen

I've never heard of The Stylistics's song, but the KC song is very cool. I'm skaking my non-existant booty as I type this.

The website also claims that my "life's theme song" is the song that was #1 on my 18th birthday. I suppose that these are my life's theme songs:

US - Can't Help Falling In Love - UB40 Listen
UK - Mr Vain - Culture Beat Listen

The thing is, I don't like either of my "theme songs," though I'm sure someone that knows me would swear the UK hit was right on the money! :-)

What Song was #1 on YOUR Birthday?

11 comments:

  1. Wow, what crap songs:

    Birth (11/7/73): US: Keep On Truckin’ - Eddie Kendricks

    UK: Daydreamer / The Puppy Song - David Cassidy


    "Theme Song": Cream - US: Prince and the New Power Generation

    UK: Dizzy - Vic Reeves & The Wonder Stuff

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops, that should be US: Cream-Prince, et al

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://spaces.msn.com/members/cozmo54901/Blog/cns!1pfDtqGhqNZpKMJeQi7D649Q!660.entry

    Mediocre-quasi enticing results.

    You sure don't seem like Mr. Vain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of your 18th birthday songs, Can't Help Falling in Love by UB40 was in my movie. What a coincidence! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris; I don't think anyone got any really great results on this, although the instrumental break on "Keep On Truckin’ " is pretty slick.

    Carrie: I'm a little vain, but a lot less than I used to be.

    Billy: Haven't had a chance to read the whole screenplay, but that's awesome :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Last Train To Clarksville - The Monkees for the day I was born...and then..

    Caribbean Queen (No More Love On The Run) - Billy Ocean on the day I turned 18

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you got the best songs out of all of us, Muddy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not telling. But both the british and american versions, remarkably, are in the same key. Tells you how people were feeling at the time. Prefer US one. Now I need to research which each song was about (wait, US is a young boy's disappointing carnal induction into manhood; UK is a really bad, overplayed -- oh, God, is it overplayed -- love song about obsessive love or heroine addiction or who cares, for the truly tone deaf amongst us, 4.5 million and counting......)

    Oooh! gonna check my 18th now, just hang on..........

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got no clue what songs those are, ancient texts. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty late, but the hit song on the day I was born (11/27/89) was "Blame it on the Rain" by Milli Vanilli. After all, you can blame it on the rain because the rain don't mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah...Milli Vanilli! Dreads and pre-recoreded vocal tracks; who could ask for anything more? LOL

    That seems like just yesterday. I was in high school back then. :-)

    ReplyDelete