Saturday, September 17, 2005

Who needs therapy when you can blog?

Celeste Ward
adfreak.com

A new America Online survey shows that more than 50 percent of bloggers create their online musings as a form of therapy. Nearly one-third write about self-esteem and self-help issues, the survey found.

"What we've noticed is that bloggers aren't necessarily wannabe journalists, or people out to break news or get noticed by the public,” said Bill Schreiner, vice president, AOL Community. “They're writing for themselves, and their blogs serve as a recreational and therapeutic outlet for their thoughts."

A couple of examples here include one called Thinking Nurse, and the House of Karma.

That’s all good, but are these bloggers qualified to help others? How many of them have licenses to offer cognitive-behavioral therapy? Before AdFreak gets stuck with someone else’s Freudian repetition-compulsion, it will visit much shallower blogs, that rip celebrity fashion to shreds, like http://www.gofugyourself.com/, and www.idontlikeyouinthatway.com.

2 comments:

  1. Admittedly, blogging is like therapy for me. The internet listens, and I do not have to shell out $30 in copay.

    Jocelyn and I are fans of gofugyourself.com. Any gratuitous ripping apart of celebrities is always a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My big problem has always been expressing myself, and the internet allows me to do that. That's usally all the therapy I need.

    I've gone to gofugyourself.com a couple of times. It's funny as sh*t.

    ReplyDelete