Wednesday, January 04, 2006

get money

How early would you file your income tax return? For me, it’s typically been early February. But then again, I typically get a pretty modest refund.

Apparently I was being slow, because on my first day at Big Green*, we had a younger customer that wanted to file his taxes so quickly that he couldn’t wait for a W-2 form. We are able to prepare a substitute W-2 based on pay stubs, should we have to for a reason, but it is highly unusual and discouraged by Corporate.

The phone lines weren't working in the office and technically the IRS is not accepting tax forms yet, so his return had to be put on hold, but he was adamant about getting them done. I am legally not allowed to be specific about his tax situation, but his estimated refund apparently was higher than average. Hopefully he'll come back when we're more functional.

Other than that, it was a quiet night. It’s a small office in an older section of town, so we won’t get a lot of night business until what they call “peak season” later this month through February. Which is probably when I’ll do mine.

*please see previous posts

3 comments:

  1. I will file them the weekend after I receive my W-2 and my student loan statement saying how much interest I can deduct. I like to get them in by the end of January so I can beat the rush and get my refund faster...all so I can turn it back over to the calamity known as "estimated owed city taxes for the year 2006." ARRRRRRGGGHH

    ~Carrie =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We usually file asap.(though do wait for W2's) The only year we didn't was the year we owed money to the IRS-that wasn't nearly as fun as filing taxes knowing there is something at the end of the dark tax filing tunnel.
    Last year was our first year for doing online filing. It was very cool-and there is a high probability we'll do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrie: Oh man, you have to pay city income taxes, too? That sucks! We just have Federal and state.

    Muddy: I like doing my taxes online. In fact, I've never done them in person at the tax office. It was awkward learning the tax interview process, because I've never been on the other side of the chair. Not even once.

    ReplyDelete