Sunday, January 08, 2006

what the hecks

An unusual find when I went to recycle my plastic bags at Wal-Mart. This is a bag for Hecks discount stores, a chain based out of Nitro, West Virginia, that operated in my town for about three years in the late '80s. It was Rocky Mount's first big-box discounter, and we bought our first VCR there back in 1986.

They also had an overstock of Air Jordan 1s that I wish I had grabbed some of back in the day (but nobody back then thought the Air Jordan 1 would be coveted today)

Hecks closed its Rocky Mount store in 1988 due to Chapter 11 bankruptcy and the coming of our local Roses discount store in a better location a year after Hecks opened in '85. The location is now a Goodwill store and Roses is slowly dying due partially to Wal-Mart.

Hecks is often confused with Hecht's, the Washington-based department store chain turning into Macy's, but they are not related and never were.

No comments:

Post a Comment