Monday, January 02, 2006

time to buy some new ties

I hate my ties.

The new job at Block requires a collared shirt and tie each day, a first for me, and I was digging through my tie selection tonight trying to find something I could use for Tuesday and Thursday, this week’s workdays. Needless, to say, I found something but was disappointed overall.

The last time I had to wear ties regularly was in high school (I was on a traveling academic team) and I still have most of the ties I had back then. Apparently times have changed a lot or maybe my tastes because I thought just about all of then were ugly. I immediately threw out three of the more heinous ones and now I’m considering getting rid of the rest and starting over.

Maybe not everything. I have a couple of Peanuts novelty ties that you can’t get anymore that I love and will keep. There is also an “eye-chart” tie that I bought in college that I love, because of the irony of a visually-impaired person wearing it if nothing else.

I also have four newer ties that I’ll keep: a colorful old Structure model I bought in Richmond about ten years ago at Regency Square, a rust-colored tie I bought to wear with a rust-colored shirt to church a few years ago (the “full Regis” was very hot in ’99) and a pair of designer ties (Dolce & Gabbana and Ermengildo Zegna) I bought at Value City for something like 90% off.

But the rest will eventually have to go. I don’t know when I’ll have time and money enough to put thought into replacing them, but once I get a couple of paychecks under my belt and some time, the ‘90s ties are going to the Goodwill.

3 comments:

  1. ummm, so...um.... paisley, and there's this color called 'burgundy' and the little semi-triangles are called 'chevrons' and.......

    that's seriously the weirdest set of ties in all of creation, man. I'm glad all of the judges on the genius squad appreciated your sense of irony, because that's seriously the weirdest set of ties in all of creation, man..........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was this an actual picture of ties you own or just one you found on the internet?

    My husband still has some of those extra wide striped ties from the late 70's/early 80's LOL...he doesnt wear 'em, but it's hard to part with...because they are so bizarre!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those aren't my actual ties. LOL

    I did not have time to photgraph my collection when I made my post, so I found an ugly tie picture on the internet. Granted they don't look a whole lot worse than mine but... :-)

    Muddy: my dad has some of those "breast protector" ties still in the closet too. They are seriously bizarre.

    Believe it or not, wide ties are coming back...just not in polyester. LOL

    ReplyDelete