Wednesday, January 04, 2006

i decorate a mean table

In addition to all my other uber-macho hobbies, I also have an interest in tableware. No wonder I can't find a date. LOL This is from the New Years party we had at the club.

Anyway, I didn't come up with the concept for this tabletop design (that was Mom, based on a picture she saw in the Ross-Simons catalog) but I placed the dishes on the table and enhanced the layout a bit with the additional clear stem glasses for water and clear blue glass dessert plates. I thought it came out really nice.

Side note: everything on that table came from discount stores and cost less than $2.00 apiece. The dinner plates and votive candle cups are from Big Lots; flatware from Kmart; glasses from Maxway; flowers, "snow," tea lights, dessert plates and tablecloth fabric from Wal-Mart, and the vases are from Goodwill.

8 comments:

  1. Very pretty!

    (and very thrifty...you know I love that part of it as well LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I'm glad you liked it.

    When it comes to shopping, we're volume people around here, especially at the club. Saving just a little on each piece makes a big difference in the overall price.

    In this case, the savings go toward building more shelves for all the dishes we've accumulated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I mean, do you re-outfit the table for every party you have? That's a lot of dinnerware inventory lying around.....

    Beautiful table.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The short answer is yes. We do come up with a different table setting for each event, except for 4th of july, which is an outdoor event. It was Mom's idea and I help her when I can.

    The club has somewhere around ten different dinnerware patterns, four sets of flatware, 6-8 sets of glassware and 5 sets of charger plates, along with countless serving and odd pieces, all in multiples.

    It's a little insane, but we never fail to impress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "In addition to all my other uber-macho hobbies, I also have an interest in tableware. No wonder I can't find a date. LOL"

    I don't know what the problem is either, Steven. You'd make a great catch for any guy...

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you can't get a date with this 'uber-manly' trait, the irony is not lost on me.

    Most women spend lifetimes nagging their husbands to lift a finger to take out the garbage, nearly all women work full-time, and many busy single professionals and working moms hire domestic assistants to administrate the minutiae of daily home life. This alternative is often reached when husbands who bring home 40% of the household revenues, or even being stay-at-home dads, can't be bothered to lower themselves to demoralizing, effeminate household duties.

    To quote a great mind: you are truly a catch, the women you know just don't know it yet.

    ReplyDelete