Sunday, January 01, 2006

so, how was my new years? (part one)

76 green wine glasses, 38 red ones. We cleaned them out.

New Years Eve, Mom and I ended up at Wal-Mart in Danville, Virginia, ringing in the New Year with everybody who was awake and had nowhere to go, and also finishing up my mom's clearance holiday glassware mission. You would not believe how many people were out.

And when they all got hungry, they descended on Sheetz and IHOP, apparently the only two places in Danville that you could get hot food that night.

The crowd of people at IHOP was insane (they were standing outside the door waiting, for goodness sake), so we decided to go to Sheetz and ran into a huge, somewhat unruly crowd.

We should have stayed at IHOP, because there were so many people that a hamburger and fries at Sheetz took 45 minutes. People were getting testy, and the security guard was two steps away from freaking out.

I guess Sheetz management thought the kitchen was going to get bum-rushed so they placed her at the pick-up counter. Whenever somebody in the kitchen would call out the order number, she would scream it into the crowd like Frau Farbissina in "Austin Powers." I'd imagine she had to take a mental health holiday after that.

We eventually got our food, which included a bottle of Jolt Red soda for me (in a bottle shaped like a battery, no less) and went back to the club to finish setting up for the New Years party, which we were having New Years night.

More to follow...

4 comments:

  1. Are you referring to Danville, Kentucky?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, actually, Danville, Virginia. It's a lot closer. I'll make the edit in a second. :-)

    Strangely enough, I have been to Danville, Kentucky. It's been a few years ago, but I remember stopping there to eat once at a KFC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was inquiring because I have actually been to Danville, KY. We have a plant there and I got bus sick on our tour bus en route from the Tri-Cities airport.

    I have such fond fond memories of Danville (barf....)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that's awful.

    I was on a tour bus when I was in Danville, Kentucky, too. We were on our way back from Madison, Wisconsin to college in Blacksburg, Virginia on an epic 18 hour bus ride.

    I didn't barf but I did dream that I was in the movie "Braveheart" because I fell asleep somewhere around Indianapolis en route to Danville.

    I was a little out of it by the time we got to Kentucky. I remember saying to a friend who wanted one of my chicken legs, "you can take our chicken, but you'll never take out FREEDOM!" :-)

    ReplyDelete