Thursday, January 05, 2006

thinking inside the box

Why is it that nothing ever fits back in the box after you use it like it does when you first buy it?

I was taking down part of the outdoor Christmas decorations this afternoon and realized neither the sign nor the blowup Santa fit back in the box like it did when it was first packaged. I’m a pretty thorough packer and I try to put everything back like I got it, but it never truly works.

On the sign I even got rid of some of the interior packaging and put it in the outside container, and it still was a tight fit. I don’t know what I did wrong.

It even happens to me on shoes sometimes. None of my Nike Shox ever fit back in the box correctly after I wear them unless I crush the uppers down. The lid is attached to the box and it always sticks up unless I put another box on top.

Here’s an idea. Manufacturers, are you listening? Give your products big enough boxes to accommodate the opened product. It may take up more room in the store, but the goodwill generated when people are actually able to store your products will make up for the slight inventory loss.

3 comments:

  1. I sooo know what you mean...they must seriously vacuum-pack their products into those tiny little boxes just keep their in-stocks up while maintaining lower inventory costs. I suppose that means you also have to go out and purchase storage containers to fit the items in, thus generating more revenue for the company.

    I FORCED my damn Christmas tree back into the slim little box it arrived in and then scotch-taped it shut (yeah...I ran out of duck tape). We'll see how long that contraption holds up for!

    ~Carrie =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ::wild applause::

    I agree with this post completely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought about the packaging-storage container industrial complex before. Damn you, Rubbermaid! ;-)

    It makes sense. No wonder those guys from The Container Store got into the Retail Hall of Fame.

    Muddy: Glad you agree. This issue has been bothering me for awhile, and I figured it was happening to other people too.

    ReplyDelete