Monday, January 09, 2006

penny loafer question (take it or leavitt)

I'm going corporate, at least part-time.

The dress code at Big Green* is "professional dress." Since my other job has no dress code, this has led to a small flurry of what they call on AskAndy "Trad" semi-formal-ish clothing purchases. It's not really dressed up, but in this day and age, the old "leisure wear" seems dressy by comparison, especially when your office is in a strip mall.

Anyway, at my local shoe warehouse, I found some Bass Weejuns (Leavitt model) that would be perfect with my blue blazer, oxford shirts and khakis. They had a 13 C which is pretty close to my typical size of 13 B. It was slightly stiff in the instep, and there was some heel slippage if I walked fast (it's a big store, and yes, I tested it). I figured the heel slippage would subside after the soles break in, and the instep would probably soften some with wear as well.

I've only tried on one other pair of penny loafers recently (an Allen-Edmonds model) and that one seemed to fit slightly better, but was twice the cost.

What I'm wondering is what to expect with the Leavitt if I do buy it. How are they when it comes to stretching, meaning after I have these for a while, will they become floppy to the point of being unwearable?

Further, if it does stretch a lot, then is it possible to get a narrower fitting (B width) from Bass, and if that is possible, where can I find it?

One other question. If the 13 C doesn't work and I can't get a 13 B, does anyone know any alternatives that come in a B width that aren't outrageously expensive? These shoes will see casual use at best, and if I wear them to my other job, I'll probably be laughed right off the property. LOL

I guess it's unusual for "the shopping guru" to ask for help, but I'm not sure what to do on this. Any help or insight would be appreciated. I posted this at AskAndy and Style Forum too, but it got buried...

*see previous posts

2 comments:

  1. I got some really nice, and pretty expensive, discounted p.loaf's some time back and the toe-box never really stretched (being a broad/skirt/dame, I was willing to buy them a little snug on the premise that I'd stretch them out).

    Though that doesn't really speak to the issue, I wonder if p.loaf's really stretch in the right places, eventually making for an accomodating fit. Consider that you can't lace them tighter to compensate for any stretching subsequent to purchase, and one may just resign oneself to the possibility that 'damn funny sizes' comprise the frustrating bulk of discount shoe offerings.

    d'oh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does speak to the issue somewhat. I don't want to buy them too small hoping that they'll stretch to the right dimensions, and then find out that they don't stretch that way.

    I've heard two schools of thought on this. One says that the loafer should be bought to fit and if the stretch some then that's OK because they're supposed to be loose. The other school is the "buy it tight and it'll be right" idea.

    I'd probably buy it closer to my natural size, if I get them. Shoes that are too short hurt like hell. The width won't be as much an issue because the shape of my feet is almost always narrower than average than most shoes.

    ReplyDelete